Public Works, Utilities and Management Services
Mike has over thirty years of experience in the private and public sectors in the environmental, public works and water utility sectors. He has spent the last fifteen years leading and managing public works and water utility organizations for both a municipality and a sanitation district. Mike has a proven track record of leading organization change while developing strong management teams.
For five years, Mike was employed as Deputy General Manager and Interim General Manager at the Delta Diablo Sanitation District. In this position, his accomplishments include:
- Effective day to day management and oversight of the District including administrative services (finance, Human Resources, risk management, and information technology);
- Strategic development of a $100 million 5-year capital improvement program;
- Oversight of the development of an organizational study and subsequent reorganization;
- Development of the District’s strategic plan and annual business plans;
- Development and implementation of the District’s first succession plan and leadership development program; and
- Successful negotiation of a $4 million land acquisition transaction with Dow Chemical.
Prior to that, Mike served as Director of Public Works for the City of San Leandro for eight years. He led the 120-employee Public Works Department through the Great Recession, which required strategic and tactical organizational and operational adjustments over a multi-year period. Mike was successful in streamlining the organization and instituting innovative operational and service delivery methods to ensure continued high-quality service in spite of budget reductions of nearly 35%. Other accomplishments include:
- Effectively managed over ten enterprise and internal service funds, including, but not limited to fleet, marina, golf, parking, restaurant, hotel and wetlands operations or concessions;
- Served as a key team member on a major shoreline redevelopment project, incorporating two operating golf courses, a 460-berth marina, two hotels and multiple restaurants;
- Initiated the planning, design and construction of a $50 million wastewater treatment plant rehabilitation project;
- Negotiated and managed a 20-year solid waste and recycling franchise agreement; and
- Served as city liaison to the East Bay Dischargers Authority, a joint powers agency responsible for discharging effluent from six wastewater treatment plants to San Francisco Bay.
Mike holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of California, Berkeley and a Master of Science in Environmental Management from the University of San Francisco. He has also completed the Water and Wastewater Executive Leadership Program at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.